The Intern Experiment Ninja!

The life of a first year doctor... it's ups and downs and anything else random that happens.

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

"There's no such thing as a fat intern"

As an intern we alwasy get worried when patients lose weight for no good reason or without trying. It's usually a sign of something bad eating away a person's insides or the 'systemic' manifestation of a bad ass tumour.

So when an intern starts losing weight unexpectedly what are they to do?

During my psych term in Whoop Whoop I managed to keep my weight stable by taking extended trips to the local mall and super long lunch breaks. But since working in the Zoo I am shedding weight like it's going out of fashion.

Unfortunately I haven't quantified it (so won't be able to get a consult until I do as all good terns will know) but the clothes are definitely getting looser and my curved abdominal adipose tissue is flattening out.

My reg once aptly told me that fat interns are an anomaly and I am starting to believe him.

My other reg gave me a drug company pedometer as a gift/token-of-appreciation/instrument-of-torture. So now I am subject to daily questioning by her about how far I've been walking. Today I clocked 9km around the hospital which I reckon is pretty impressive for a tern on a surgical term. Most old people feel happy with 1-2km per day and boast like their hearts are so much better for it. So if that's the case my heart should be extremely healthy (I wish!)

No wonder we surgical interns are so tired and apathetic!

But quote of the day goes to the fictiuos Dr Yang from Grey's Anatomy who referring to a close friend going thru a crisis said:

"Are his problems surgical?"
"Well no..."
"Then technically he doesn't need our help!"

3 Comments:

At 2:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey J! thought u wanted to remain anonymous! why putting up (the "before") photos of yourself now!?!

zinger

 
At 7:37 PM, Blogger J said...

Zhinger thats so funny I forgot to laugh...
Why dont' u write more of this humour in your OWN blog.. hehe

 
At 11:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

u saying i have no humour in my blog...?? =( *wheep*wheep* guess i'm too busy writing about deep and meaningful issues! just jking!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home