The Intern Experiment Ninja!

The life of a first year doctor... it's ups and downs and anything else random that happens.

Sunday, December 24, 2006

The Importance of Christmas

I must admit I'm a Christmas addict.
Being raised by a British mother, I was indoctrinated early into all things traditional about the festive season.

Our family would never dream of anything less than a roasted turkey for lunch on Christmas Day with all the trimmings and church in the morning.

Christmas Carols MUST be watched the evening before Christmas and lame jokes about leaving grass out for reindeer must be laughed at every time wihtout fail.

And I luv every bit of it!

But it's not the trimmings that make Christmas special.

I couldn't care much for the presents (although they are quite nice and I'm happy to have them)

And although I luv them dearly it's not about family either.

It's all about the 'reason for the season' (so they say)

Each Christmas I am so amazed and excited to think about how God limited himself and humbled himself enough to become a human.

To eat and breath with us. To share our pain and toil. To share our joys and passions. To wrench us from the power of death.

I cannot help but well up with pride and emotion as I hear the Christmas message sound forth each year in carols.

Their words so articulately enshrine the exciting news that happened 2000 years ago. That in a backwater town, out the back of a pub, was born the chosen one who woudl die in my place to break death itself and bring us into freedom.
"Born to raise the sons of earth,
Born to give them second birth.

Adam's likeness now efface,

Stamp thine image in it's place,

Second Adam from above,
Reinstate us in thy love"

This day is so important because it breaks the passage of time in two. The entire history of the world hinges on it. The dawn of a 'new and glorious morn' arrives. As I remember the plan of the ages fulfilled that lonely night, I look forward to the final chapter in which:
"Once again the scene was chang'd New earth there seem'd to be, I saw the Holy City Beside the tideless sea. The light of God was on its streets The gates were open wide And all who would might enter And no one was denied. No need of moon or stars by night, Or sun to shine by day, It was the new Jerusalem That would not pass away "Jerusalem! Jerusalem Sing for the night is o'er Hosanna in the highest Hosanna for evermore!"


Amen.



2 Comments:

At 2:01 AM, Blogger Jess Joseph said...

I really like that Christmas carol too. How cool will it be to sing with everyone praises to God all day in heaven? Thanks for reminding me of that. :)

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger Martyn said...

King forever, ceasing never,
Over us all to reign.
...
Glorious now behold Him arise;
King and God and sacrifice;
Alleluia, Alleluia,
Sounds through the earth and skies.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home