The Intern Experiment Ninja!

The life of a first year doctor... it's ups and downs and anything else random that happens.

Friday, January 06, 2006

Captain J

Next week I will be going away on mission. Every year I take a week off to go and tell poeple in a small country town about Jesus. It's loads of fun as we run kid's programs for over 200 kids and 50 teenagers. We have a team of about 50 who all get on really well and are such a awesome bunch of people. Plus we get our own private swimming pool for our own use during our time off.

As part of the kid's program this year we are running a drama/skit involving pirates and lucky me gets to be the Captain of the boat.

So on Tuesday we had a practice for the drama and I got to dress up wearing a funny wig (I don't look too bad with a decent head of hair!) and pirate-looking hat. It's rather embaressing but I seem to have a thing for making a fool of myself (like the time I dressed up in a rather unflattering Stormtrooper costume for Medball one year - I don't care what people thought... I got to live my dream for one night!)

Tuesday night was cool too cos I went to see Lion Witch & Wardrobe for the 2nd time with my mate A (who is suffering girlfriend withdrawal syndrome so I'm his 'man-date' until she gets back). I found myself getting quite emotionally charged during the inital scenes of the bombing of London and the evacuation of the children from London and their separation from their families. My grandfather was one of those children evacuated during the London bombings in WWII and it had a profound impact on him as a child and even still today as a 71 year old. It felt like I was watching a significant piece of my family history on the big screen. But besdies that the movie itself is amazing... CS Lewis wrote such a succint and apt analogy of the Christian gospel and I think the film makers did a very good job of retaining that in the film. In the book itself it's even more obvious... but even in the film, they've left in elements of his "Liar, Lunatic, Lord" apologetic arguement when the Prof debates 'logic' with the elder Pevensie children. It sends shivers up my spine to see the gospel put in such a colourful artistic way... the Bible itself uses imagery all the time and I like the way Lewis painted it all together. Will definitely have to buy on DVD methinks!

Correction: Some of my med friends DID know the original fate of Chicken Little and my assumption was based on a majority not an exhaustive surveying. I have subsequently been corrected and so I apologise for any insinuations to the contrary. =)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home