The Intern Experiment Ninja!

The life of a first year doctor... it's ups and downs and anything else random that happens.

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Zai jian Whoop Whoop

"Reluctantly crouched at the starting line
Engines pumping and thumping in time.
The green light flashes, the flags go up.
Churning and burning, they yearn for the cup.
They deftly maneuver and muscle for rank
Fuel burning fast on an empty tank.
Reckless and wild, they pour through the turns.
Their prowess is potent and secretly stearn.
As they speed through the finish, the flags go down.
The fans get up and they get out of town.
The arena is empty except for one man
Still driving and striving as fast as he can.
The sun has gone down and the moon has come up
And long ago somebody left with the cup.
But he’s driving and striving and hugging the turns.
And thinking of someone for whom he still burns.
He’s going the distance.
He’s going for speed."*


I've filled up the tank, washed the windscreen, checked the oil, pumped up the tyres and at 12:30 tomorrow I'm hoping to walk out the automated glass doors that signify the entrance to Whoop Whoop Hospital and leave this town, driving off into the sunset**

It's a gruelling 9 hour trek down the Pacific Highway past many RTA speed cameras waiting to catch me.

Many call me crazy for attempting such feats after work, but seeing as I made it up here after only having had 4 hours sleep, I figure I can make it easily into Sydney before 11pm. I have my CD collection all mapped out so as to provide gentle light musci during the daylight hours and then the more harder techno/dance stuff hapening later in the evening in order to keep me awake (and bopping).

Dr V and I were just talking about our expereinces of this term. We were both worried about the 'other' university interns being a bunch of strange snobby old people.

Boy were we wrong.

We've had some great times up here, lazing at the beach, eating at every restaurant in town, hitting the only night club in Whoop Whoop, watching TV as a 'family' on weeknights, having our communal cooking times, watching my Britney Spears parody video without me around (so embaressing - haha)

I'm gonna miss seeing these guys so much, but it is time to head home ...
Home is a strange concept when you've lived out of home for a while. You make yourself 'at home' wherever you go and yet you don't really belong anywhere. Like wandering nomads, we 'terns get moved around and seperated from our 'homes' and form new ones... sometimes it's good, and sometimes it's not... this time... it's been good.

But you know what is NOT good? Getting needles!

This week I decided to fix up my immunity status and so got a Mantoux test done and a Fluvax and a tetanus shot. Thankfully I don't havce TB and whilst a tetanus shot is never fun, this year's fluvax is terribly painful and I still can't move my arm much (which is not good for someone who is currently working overtime and needs to be able to move his arm to put cannuals in)

Anyways, next stop... Sydney!

* Cake - The Distance
** Technically it wont be sunset cos I'll be driving south but these things are irrelevant to a good story.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home