The Intern Experiment Ninja!

The life of a first year doctor... it's ups and downs and anything else random that happens.

Thursday, March 23, 2006

An apple a day keep the doctor away?

Today I am am applying for health insurance.

And to be honest I dunno if I should.

I've always grown up being 'covered' by my parents insurance and now they've kicked me off their policy I have to either get my own or suffer the consequences.

It's kinda hard to see the point of it when:
a) I'm relatively young and healthy and really can't see myself sustaining any orthopaedic injuries seeing as I don't do anything that exicting.
b) you gotta pay them $600 a year for stupid stuff like "Bowen's therpay" (some alternative medicine thingy)
c) I could save the $600 a year and just put it towards my health (ie I'd need to sustain a decent fracture every 3 years to make it worht getting health insurance at my age)

I guess however the government's sneaky Medicare levy means that if I don't get it I have to pay more tax and then today my consultant told me a horror insurance story* and so now I'm worried about the rare extreme possibility of requiring emergency treatment.

So today I tried to apply online for a policy only to find that their stupid online rego system was stuffed (it lets you pay without a credit card then asks you for a credit card and wont let you go any further).

So then I called up and spoke to a human (very rare in today's phone call realm) who informed me that their computer system was down so I couldn't apply.

Like come on? I'm offering to pay them money... can't they make up something to take it from me?

I was seriously tempted NOT to get private insurance because under the secret doctor's code... we only charge each other the bulk-bill price! So I'll never have to pay a medical gap... but then again I know many docotors who wont tell their doctor they are a fellow practitioner because they fear the doctor will judge them differently so they forgo the $$ to get the respect.

Why do we insure stuff though? Are we THAT worried about losing these things (ie cars, houses, health) that we need to pay money not to lose money?

These deep existential questions are not something I really feel like answering today... so let me end today's post by offering you my fine remedy to preventing the need for health insurance in the first place:

"A tranquil heart gives life to the flesh,
but envy makes the bones rot...
A joyful heart is good medicine,
but a crushed spirit dries up the bones."**


* Apparently when he was a younger doctor he went surfing overseas and came off his board and implaed himself upon the fins 300 metres offshore tearing a giant hole in his leg and so he had to drag himself bleeding profusely back onto shore, only to find there was no other docotr on the entire island and help was 2 hours via boat away. So he got a veterinary assistant to stitch his bum/thigh back together (as he consulted via a mirror) and then he became septic and had to fly back to Australia to get antibiotics so he wouldn't die.
Then when he asked his insurance company to pay for his lost accomocdation (not even the emergency flights!) they refused becasue he had 'initiated his own treatment' and not waited for them to send a doctor (hello! he could have died)... so now he reckons he would pay $50,000 becasue apparently there's some random ICU-initiated company in Adelaide that fly Lear Jump-jets anywhere in the world to do medical retrieval for sick Aussies for the tidy sum of $50,000.
** Proverbs 14:30,17:22

1 Comments:

At 9:54 PM, Blogger josh ... said...

whoa.. that's a really scary story about health insurance..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home