The Intern Experiment Ninja!

The life of a first year doctor... it's ups and downs and anything else random that happens.

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

My head hurts!


I have a really really bad headache.

It's been here the entire night shift and I can't shake it with drugs (went to the Dungeon to raid their paracetemol supplies).

Thankfully it's 7am so in 1 hour I can go home and sleep it off.

I always have drug-resistant headaches. And the only way I can ever beat them is with sleep.

Right now though I feel like my head is exploding.

Everyone says that when you're doing the night shift, that the weekends are quiet because the teams aren't fiddling with their patients medications; but that the weekdays are hectic. Well so far this has proved to be unture and my Monday was quiter than my Friday and Saturday and Sunday nights.

The only thing worthy of mention was the demented old lady who kept roaming her ward asking for 'a crust' to eat. She bgean to ask me if I was in her 'group' and if I knew that she was anurse matron. I told her that if she was a nurse then I needed her to look after a special patient for me and directed her to her room and told her that this room was hers to look after. That worked for about 20 minutes and then I had to whack her with some good ole risperidone to knock her out for the night. I never got called to see her after that... haha!

Have developed a new loathing of the MET call system. It's totally based on arbitary figures and supposed to provide a saftey net to keep patients safe. Fair enough. But the nurses use it religously to 'cover' themselves medicolegally so it gets abused. Like earlier I had this lady with an unrecordable blood pressure. Now normally this is worthy of a MET call. Normally this SHOULD bring the crash cart racing and the med reg to review. But this lady is a known MET call frequent flyer who quite often has low BP's and her reg told me that she often has this and is asymptomatic.

But try explaining this to the nurses.

They refuse to accept this and keep inching towards calling a MET call. You can see how itchy they are to do it. It's like maybe they have an annual award/prize given to the nurse who calls the most MET calls.

Either way it's pretty silly when a doctor tells them it's ok but they still go ahead and call one.

I feel like writing something 'deep' on this blog today.. but my headache is preventing this. Tonight I shall try to blog earlier (and without a headache).

"You stay classy San Diego!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home