The Intern Experiment Ninja!

The life of a first year doctor... it's ups and downs and anything else random that happens.

Thursday, March 02, 2006

Tiredness...

I think I have TB...

Or maybe lymphoma.

Then again maybe it's the psychomotor retardation of depression.

Either way I'm feeling really really tired for no particular reason this week. I even went to bed early last night and still struggled to get up today.

Last year (as a student) I would just take the day off if I felt mildly unwell. But now I kinda feel some bizarre sense of responsibility and so drag myself out of bed and force myself to get thru the day.

Using Coca-Cola and other legal stimulants, I managed to go thru the motions and even managed to suck up to the boss (good to keep the consultants happy).

But then as I was about to leave the evil nurses poured forth their usual load of rubbish and soured the end of a long day.

We had charted a new anti-psychotic for a rather aggressive patient who had been waiting 2 days for it to be approved by the government. Now that we had finally gotten it ready we charted it in the med chart to be given and as I was preparring to leave the nurses said they didn't 'want' to give it to the patient because they would need to monitor his vitals hourly for 6 hours.

Oh no! Heaven forbid they should have to actually get off their bums and DO some work. I'm SO sorry for actually assuming they had a job to do (for which they get paid more than me!).

They cited some concern about safety (um hello... that's why we employ a 100kg bikie to protect them!) and refused outright to give it. I so wanted to pull rank on them... but have heard horror stories of interns in Wagga who have tried this and ended up paying for it with a lifetime of Panadol-recharting-pages.

I reluctantly recharted it for the next day and then had to exaplin to my boss WHY we weren't able to give the patient his anti-psychotics today.

Needless to say I wasn't happy, the boss wasn't happy and the patient called us a bunch of unrepeatables.

Thankyou nurses ... for being so useful!

Not looking forward to the weekend. I have to work Friday evening then Sunday evening then I work 3 days next week before starting a week of night shift (11pm-8am)... kinda starting to wish I'd got a job at McDonald's flipping burgers...

Oh well!

1 Comments:

At 6:29 PM, Blogger Martyn said...

Hang in there buddy,
5 more weeks and you're out of the hole you're in. God is with you mate - endure!!

You will waste this experience if you don't let God teach you endurance in it. Who knows, he could be preparing you to endure something bigger in the future for his glory?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home