The Intern Experiment Ninja!

The life of a first year doctor... it's ups and downs and anything else random that happens.

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

The Nurse Strikes Back

Oh she's back...

And she's not happy!

After my ranting and raving the other day about a certain nurse in the Dungeon I was rightfully warned by some friends that paying out nurses online might not be a wise idea and might incur all sorts of retribution. But I have decided that I need to vent, for she hath returned to my world in order to torment me and causing much pain, suffering and gnashing of teeth.

I was enjoying my first day back at work and it was nearing the end of the day. My reg said he was off to organise his wedding reception so I said I'd cover the ward for him. No problems!

I get a call from the boss (who by the way gave me an "Excellent" on my mid term report - yay me!) who asks me to admit a patient directly from his rooms. Now it's not protocol to admit directly after 4:30pm but I was feeling generous so I said ok (as if I had a choice).

So I'm looking to admit this 86 yo lady in 30 minutes and make it out the door at 5pm so I can go for a swim before dinner. But then it happened.

I looked at the computerised whiteboard (due to privacy reasons we use an entire flatscreen monitor as a whiteboard - what a waste!) and saw that the nurse who had made my life hell last week was going to be looking after this patient.

I was waiting with the patients old file ready to get stuck into the paperwork as soon as she hit the ward. However when the patient DID arrive, the nurse (I shall call her Jeezebel for now) grabbed the notes off me (rather rudely) and began to pretend she needed to read them. She then proceeded to read a letter clearly marked to "Dr J" form my boss explaining what needed to happen with this patient. She then felt 'informed enough' to start telling ME what to do (as if I was unable to read the letter from my boss written to ME.

I needed to quickyl asses the lady (for legal purposes) but as I made for the patient's room, Jeezebel decided she had urgent business with the patient too and raced for the room too. Trying to pretend like she had work to do, she kept slowing down my interview and interrupting my history taking.

After finally getting through all that, I returned to the desk to write up my report only to find Jeezebel stalking/shadowing me and as soon as I put the notes down she pounced like a hungry predator, seizing the notes and flicking through them, scouring the pages.

"Oh look you haven't filled in a form 2 yet Dr J"

"Yes I'm aware of that thankyou... I have to write up these ADMISSION notes first and THEN I'll do the form 2"

"Oh ok...oh and you haven't written her up any meds yet..."

"Yes Jeezebel, I'm aware of that too... again, I will be doing that bit AFTER I have written up her admission."

"Oh and by the way you havent...."

It continued like this until I could finally distract her long enough to write my charts and run like hell out of the Dungeon and to escape 30 minutes longer than I had expected.

Apparently I am not the only one who has a problem with her. One nurse was telling me yesterday she swore at Jeezebel and walked out of a handover on her. Now if another nurse swears at you it's def not a doctor/nurse problem... it's HER problem...

Grr... anyways, its' time to finish my lunch break and go back down into the dungeon to face off with Jeezebel (who always happens to be on the afternoons for some reason).

Wish me luck!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home