The Intern Experiment Ninja!

The life of a first year doctor... it's ups and downs and anything else random that happens.

Friday, February 24, 2006

Why I 'dislike' med students...

Caption: "WHAT I'D LIKE TO USE ON MED STUDENTS "



I never thought the day would come when I became miffed with the med students.

It weas only a few months ago that I was one of them. One of the inevitable aggregated platelets forming a plaque on the arterial wards of the hospital and getting in the way of everyone. I always swore that I would never be rude to med students... that I would treat them kindly and always offer to help them out where I was able to.

I always admired the doctors who treated the med students kindly and vowed to pass that tradition on to the next generation.

However yesterday I was annoyed with those young proteges.

Imagine this... it's a long day in the Dungeon... you've been unusally busy admitting psych patients and running around doing a whole long weekends worth of med charts (cos you're about to go to Sydney for 4 days)... your consultants have all decided to come see their patients that day requiring you to fix up all the tests and stuff they want done... so anyway... you work hard looking forward to your upcoming free lunch in the RMO teaching session. You even decided to get there 10 minutes early in order to secure some food.

Imagine your horror/disgust/pain to get there early only to find that the med students got there 30 minutes early and ate ALL of the food so that now there is NOTHING (repeat NOTHING) left for you or the other doctors for whom it was intended. All those gastric juices are worked up for some nutrition and sustenance only to be disappointed by the greedy little med students whove eaten your lunch.

"Not happy Jan!"

Like I'm not against the med students eating (beccause some of them look like they need to eat more)... but there's certain ways/protocols/social etiquettes/pecking orders that need to be observed. Like waiting until the consultants and other doctores have eaten before hoarding one's plate with food. Like going and buying your own lunch if there's not enough becasue unlike the doctors, the med studnets actually HAVE time to go and do such things.

Sorry med students... I'm prob being overly-harsh because of my now increasing peptic ulceration. But next time please let the poor 'terns eat something! (especially the pregnant 'tern... she needs food more than you do!)

Anyways, yesterday I left the dungeon on parole and flew back to Sydney. It was such a nice flight looking over the Eastern coast of Australia the entire flight. Landed down in Sydney to be greeted by two of my mates who had decided to pick me up but had instead got sidetracked at Kripsy Kreme and decided to turn their donut wrapper into a "Welcome home Dr J" sign. We then headed off to my fav Thai restaurant Chao Praya and ate lots and lots of food (duck red curry, pad thai, some hot pot thingy, satay and chilli jam stir fry) before waddling back to their apartment to play some good ole Big 2.

It's so good to be back home for 4 days... as I was flying I was thinking to myself just how content I feel at the moment. Life has it's ups and downs but in the end it keeps going in God's mercy. And right now things ARE going well and I am enjoying being a doctor (despite my ranting and raving). I have so much to be thankful for... my job, my health, my friends, my church, my relationship with God.

Today is a good day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home