The Intern Experiment Ninja!

The life of a first year doctor... it's ups and downs and anything else random that happens.

Thursday, February 09, 2006

"Interns are doctors too you know!"

Last night we watched ER on TV. And the above quote was one of my favourites.

I kinda felt nerdy watching ER with 7 other doctors, but we all kinda knew exactly what it was like (except for that goofy bald guy in the ER with Neila - but I'm scared I might turn out like him!) It's so cool to finally BE an intern... it's what millions of people tune in to watch each week... to voyeuristically see what life as in intern doctor is like... and it makes us real interns feel pretty spesh.

Well right now I'm supposedly 'working' overtime, but unlike last Sunday I am not busy and there are no MET calls and not many cannulas to put in. It's like the exact opposite of last time. Last time was a baptism of fire which on reflection was mainly bad becasue those 2 MET calls disorientated me which set me behind for the rest of the day.

But tonight I was in control.

Tonight I managed to stab a lady 3 times and STILL have her ask me to come back tomorrow morning and visit her. I managed to do nothing to help a patient and STILL have 2 nurses say I was the best doctor they'd seen on the wards so far. Tonight I even had time to drink Coke in the common room and chill for 10 minutes. Tonight I was a real doctor!

It felt so good to chart fluids knowing what and why I was charting them for (as opposed to signing random things), it felt good to spend time actually talking to the patients and not just signing the forms and running off.

This is what it is supposed to be like!

Tonight I was Dr J!

Thanks God for giving me a really nice confidence boost after the awful first shift I had. =)

I was really doubting my choice to work in medicine at all after last Sunday but now I'm content.

I think I've actually helped someone today... and that is pretty cool.

Anyways it's way too late and I need to sleep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home