The Intern Experiment Ninja!

The life of a first year doctor... it's ups and downs and anything else random that happens.

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Babyface


Today I was helping admit a new 'client' to our ward and as the reg was talking to her she kept staring at me.

Finally she smiled and said, "Dr J... you look too young to be a doctor! You look like a baby!"

Meh!

She kept dwelling on that fact... ignoring everything else the reg said and later said "Dr J's gonna get a headbutt to the face cos he looks so young!"

Needless to say we Scheduled her and she's now locked up in our little dungeon... and we'll hopefully work with her to eliminate those intern-head-butting-tendencies. But yeah... it's nice to think I'm still young at the ripe old age of 22 and 11/12... and that despite the hair loss I still look young to psychotic people.

Other than that it was a boring day in the dungeon... discharged some patients and it was so funny to see two of them walking out together at lunchtime like a pair of old buddies leaving on a holiday with their suitcases. Oh how I need a holiday right now (and it's only been 2 weeks!)

Got paid today... they decided to pay us $500 travel expenses for our term up here so that was a nice bonus (going straight into my car loan repayments - sigh)... this whole concept of having money is foreign to me... really wish I could pay someone to organise all my $$ for me.

This afternoon after work we had Grand Rounds which was very different from Sydney. Instead of the usual gourmet artys farsty healthy sandwiches, today in Whoop Whoop we had loads of hot chicken wings and drumsticks and free beer/softdrink. Although I'm not a drinker I think that's pretty impressive for this dump. The presentation itsefl was pretty depressing... one of those "root-cause-analysis" thingys where they work out which intern to blame for killing a certain patient last year. Just makes all us new interns feel depressed and imcompetent. Yay!

And apparently one of the nurses reported an official incident from the other night when E, K and I got stuck in the airlock secuirty room in the psych ward... apparently they hospital is now addressing the issue so unsuspecting JMO's will never again be caught in the trap of the dungeon. I think the nurses just have way too much time on their hands...

Anyways, tonight is 'communal cooking night' in our house... so K the night-intern is gonna be feeding us all... should be fun (and there's always Macca's if it isnt!)... speaking of which... I've found that Coles have Peanut Butter Kit Kats for only $0.50 each! What a bargain! My friend SL would be so proud of me finding a bargain on those bars!

Laters!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home