The Intern Experiment Ninja!

The life of a first year doctor... it's ups and downs and anything else random that happens.

Friday, January 27, 2006

Axe-E-Dent

King Arthur has finally come good.

Turns out he was attacked by someone 3 years ago who put an axe thur his skull (I'm serious!) which caused his brains to spill out of the cranial cavity until some surgeon put them back inside his head.

Now 3 years later we 'think' his bizarre royal rampage was a result of a epileptic seizure which was set off by his prior brain damage (which is a foci for abnormal neural electrical activity) so I got to order him an EEG (brain wave test) and today he was back to normal... and even laughing when we told him what he had been doing 3 days earlier.

I am finally settling into the psych intern role now... I make sure I rechart those psychotropic drugs... I check the lab results on the computer with great finesse and I even know how to maximise my lunch break and still make it back on time (I found out my pager still works when I'm in the shopping mall). Who knows... perhaps I really AM a doctor now?

The rest of the staff have been really supportive and keep reminding me when I forget to do stuff, but I hope next week to try to get more involved and do more stuff cos otherwise I can end up sitting around watching the clock (the joys of shiftwork).

Have been questioning my OWN sanity in the last week. In "The House of God" one of the rules of medicine is that "The patient is the one with the disease"... it is so simple, yet so apt. Gotta keep telling myself... "I'm the doctor... not the crazy one"... cos even today I was beginning to think maybe sanity IS just a social construct... argh! These existential post modernistic thoughts will send me mad... time to chill out on the weekend and watch some cable TV or Korean soaps (Yes, I DID buy a Korean Soap to watch whilst in Whoop Whoop)

Missing Sydney a LOT right now... sigh!

2 Comments:

At 7:45 PM, Blogger josh ... said...

this is really interesting stuff.. man, never knew an axe through a skull could have such an effect!

lol.. sanity is a social construct? in what society is this? doctors? :D

 
At 10:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

which korean soapie??

and should you be discussing such confidential info about your psych patients??

s

 

Post a Comment

<< Home