The Intern Experiment Ninja!

The life of a first year doctor... it's ups and downs and anything else random that happens.

Friday, January 06, 2006

Up and down.... up and down...


Given that I've put on a bit too much weight in the last few months (due entirely to Mum's cooking and being fed too much in Taiwan and Singapore) I've decided to go swimming everyday until I significantly reduce my adipose tissue.

So off I trundled to the pool to go for a swim.

Except due to the heat wave Sydney had been experiencing the pool was packed ful of people which is not cool cos:
a) the showers are full and so you have to wait ages
b) the lanes of the pool are clogged with geriatrics doing about 100m/hour
c) more people are around to see you (and despite what people may think, I AM self-conscious)

But when you pay $2.60 to get in, you've gotta get your value out of it (aren't I sounding Asian now?) so I bit the bullet and did my laps... now normally my 1.7km are a breeze... but seeing as fatso here hadn't been to the pool in about a month... his arms were screaming in pain by about the 1km mark and by the end he wanted to die (and thinks he may have had chest pain - but then again every med student/doctor thinks they have chest pain)

So the moral of the story?
a) don't eat so much at Christmas and when you go overseas (esp not so much bubble tea and Coke)
b) when you haven't exercised in a long time... don't bother starting again! (kidding - I'll be back in the pool tomorrow hopefully!)
c) Swimming in a pool is mind-numbingly boring (you stare at a black line for 1 hour) and yet very relaxing.

Speaking of which this reminds me of 3 of the worst jokes ever (the invovle pools):
i) What is small, blue and floats at the top of a pool?
A dead baby.
ii) What is small, green and sits at the bottom of a pool?
The same baby a week later.
iii) What is big, yellow and sits at the bottom of a pool?
A bulldozer.

Now you really hate me don't you?

1 Comments:

At 11:17 PM, Blogger zhinger said...

you know that once you've significantly reduced your adipose tissue, you are just going to sink in the pool, right?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home