The Intern Experiment Ninja!

The life of a first year doctor... it's ups and downs and anything else random that happens.

Thursday, February 23, 2006

Steak...(Happy Birthday to me)

Yesterday was my birthday.

I'm now officially old (according to numerous sources).

Now that I'm working my birthday didn't seem as 'special' us it normally does. I still had psychotic people abusing me, I still had those pesky nurses yapping in my ear, I still had to fill in my timesheet as usual.

It was just another ordinary day.

Excpet for the other interns.

I must say the other 'terns I live with are wonderful. Every single one of them (I know you're reading this Dr V) - and I mean it.

From the 'anonymous' chocolate bar left under my door when I returned home from work... to the birthday card with a picture of two very dementing female geri patients on the front cover saying "Happy Birthday Handsome"... they really made it a top day and turned the afternoon/evening into a fantastic celebration. (Thanks guys!)

But what really, really took the cake (bad birthday pun) was that we went to the famous Small-village-near-Whoop-Whoop Pub for dinner and I had one of the best steaks I've had for ages. It was a 250gram Sirloin cooked to perfection (Medium-Well) with pepper sauce and chips.

Mmmm... what more can a man ask for on his birthday??? (that's a rhetorical question - but if you have any ideas please let me know cos my Mum always complains she doesn't know what to get me for my birthday)

They even organised a birthday dessert/cake with sparklers (which I almost missed out on cos my phone kept ringing) and I came home very happy and satisfied.

It was also a historic occasion last night becasue last night marked the first time that I ever consumed alcohol.

Growing up a lot of my mates would get really drunbk and pass out and it really put me off alcohol. Then someone very close to me got drunk one night and was raped by a drunk guy. I swore to myself then that I would never drink alcohol because of the damage it could do.

As I got older and all my friends started drinking I was still underage so it really wasn't an issue for me and then when I finally DID become old enough to dirnk I was so used to saying No I couldn't be bothered. Plus the smell of it really turned me off.

Anyways, to cut a long story short... I have been reconsidering my stance cos it has become more of a hindrance than a help. Having to exaplin to everyone that I don't drink and that it ISN'T a religious thing becomes to tiresome all the time and so I decided to make my birthday the day I would take my first sip.

So last night one of the Ortho reg's poured me a glass of red wine and instead of my usual 5 minute denial of the kind offer, I drank it.

I'm not sure if it's cos I've never drank before or maybe it's just me; but it took some getting used to. Tried the white wine as well (they ended up pouring me drink 4 glasses) and although the flavour may take some time to grow on me.. the sedative effect was quite interesting (seems I can hold it ok, but was feeling 'different')

Anyways, I don't think I'm about to give up on my beloved Coca-Cola anytime soon, but I guess now when I go to wedddings I can actually drink the champers instead of having to pretend to toast then fob the glass off to someone else... hehehe!

3 Comments:

At 7:44 PM, Blogger josh ... said...

happy belated birthday!

 
At 10:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

heya j, happy bday!!! sorry can't make it this Fri cos i've got something else one. hope 2 catch up some other time =)

zinger

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger Martyn said...

Happy Birthday dude!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home