The Intern Experiment Ninja!

The life of a first year doctor... it's ups and downs and anything else random that happens.

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

What a difference a reg makes...

Well the sun is shining and the light has fallen.

Came back to the wards this week to find that the gastro regs had swapped over and my old reg was now sticking cameras up bums whilst I had the smooth talking Indian reg who is renound for writing in large letters and signing his entry with only his first name (now THAT is cool!)

I wasn't sure if this would be a good thing at first. My few previous conversations with him had involved talks about whips and chains if the patient list was too large when he hit the wards. But these fears were soon allayed when he told me not to bring the notes to the patient's bedside to write in as HE would do this himself later.

That's right... I have a reg who insists on writing the progress notes himself.

I never thought such people existed but it's a welcome relief from spending hours postdating entries for the rest of the morning. And not only that, but he generates less consults, less CT scans, less crap for me to do and therefore instead of getting out at an average of 6:30pm... I'm now finishing my work by 3:30pm and looking for ways to kill time.

Also in the past few days I have only had 2 new patients whereas with the old reg I had an average of 4 per day.

Life at the moment is just a whole lot better.

Which is good because had I kept going at the current rate I was last week I would have ended up like this:
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2006/09/12/1157826941987.html?from=top5

And as icing on the cake, we have a new ward pharmacist who is of Asian extraction and instantly turned me into a blubbering fool when she asked me about a patient's medications (one of the other interns is going to asses her single status for me... haha).

Enjoy the good times while they last!

1 Comments:

At 11:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That Age article has given me chills... and some tears (or perhaps the tears are from the lack of sleep...)
The female suicide rate caomparison is scary ... I wonder how many a year and what kinda docs do it ... is it higher among surgical trainees as this article seem to suggest? or just higher in general...
Anyways safe working hours... I guess that means I should sleep now.
My reg this morning said he was about to have a nervous breakdown... is working overtime tmr and we finished long after the sun went down today ... should I be worried? or do you think the coffee and chocolates will hold him up?
scary world we live in.
also i wonder how much higher are "accidental deaths" among medicos? eg MVAs... or other ones that may not have been seen as suicides?
anyways glad you're getting a better run.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home