The Intern Experiment Ninja!

The life of a first year doctor... it's ups and downs and anything else random that happens.

Monday, August 21, 2006

100th Post!!!!!!!!

Yes, that's right regular readers.

We've finally hit the 100th post mark.

Looking back at some of the stuff I wrote earlier this year, it seems like life has changed so much. And yet there is nothing new under the sun. The same problems and challenges represent themselves in different ways. The regularity of life is unstoppable.

But every so often it is interuppted by...

HOLIDAYS!

After sorting out my GP interview, I raced home, packed my bags and took off to the airport for a holiday. However the stupid bus driver couldn't quite understand that an airport bus is supposed to stop AT the airport and so I missed my plane (which I had just rebooked earlier thatday)... it was not looking good but I was determined to take this holiday so begged the lady at the desk to rebook me for the next flight (which she kindly did at a cheaper rate).

Whilst awaiting my departure I noticed a guy who looked like Sir Richard Branson walking around the airport. Then he started shaking the hands of all the flights attendants and I realised that it WAS Sir Richard Branson. 2 hours later I was at Surfers Paradise, ready to start my adventures.

I stayed at this cheap backpackers hostel overlooking the beach. During the course of the week I had South American, British, Japanese, Canadian, Korean and Mainland Chinese people living in my room which always ensured interesting conversations at night.

Each day I would wake around 10, wander down to the beach and eat bacon and eggs. However, I decided that onthis holiday I would eat at a different restaurant each meal and so I tried bacon and egss from 5 different places. Then I would go for a short swim and sun bake before finding another place to score some lunch. I'd then but the daily newspaper and sit on the beach and read books all afternoon until it was dusk. Then I would take a long walk up the beach and back (about 4km each way) and eat dinner before retiring.*

To be honest, I didn't do much... and I luved every minute of it.

I had time to sleep. Time to eat. Time to think. And time alone.

Sometimes you just need a break from everything in life. A break from relationships, responsibilities and to relax.

I felt like I was alive once more. I had drunk deeply from the wells of enjoyment and was refreshed.

And so when I returned, I bumped into a freind who commented, "You must have had a great holiday! Those bags that have been under your eyes all year have gone!"

With friends like these...

* This routine was only disrupted by my 'Movie Marathon Thursday where I watched 3 movies in a row just because I could.

2 Comments:

At 1:32 AM, Blogger Katie said...

Congratulations on this truly magnificent milestone!

It sounds like you had a great holiday. If I wasn't a uni student with no money, I'd love to spend all my holidays in a similar fashion, all 18 (give or take) weeks of them... failing that, I guess I'll just keep going to Christian camps and visiting my folks in Cowra :) Hope it's not too much of a shock getting back into it all.

 
At 11:40 AM, Blogger Jess Joseph said...

Sounds wonderful, Jimbo!

I know how you feel. Having time away alone (me-time), time away from EVERYTHING, can really do wonders.

Can't do just taht at the moment. I'm kind of snowed under with work & interviews, etc.

But congrats on your interview though. If all goes well, you might be my MTS buddy in 18 month's time! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home