The Intern Experiment Ninja!

The life of a first year doctor... it's ups and downs and anything else random that happens.

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Sometimes love just aint enough...

18 months ago in country far from here...

"On Tuesday night we were taken out for dinner by one of the nurses S. S works with the mountain health teams and visits the mental health patients (especially schizophrenics) to deliver their medications. She really cares a lot about her patients and even bought all 70+ of them Christmas presents (out of her own pocket). She is also very blunt and frank with people (which is extremely rare in Taiwan because of people wanting to preserve 'face') which meant that we all get on really well with her... during the course of the evening, S told us about herself and her family and she has been through some very bad experiences and has had to face some awful things in her life. She told us that she is looking for 'answers' to the questions in life and so we were able to share with her what we believed about Jesus and she wants us to give her a Bible in English so she can read it. She even says she feels like becoming a nun in order to escape for a while and find some meaning/answers in life. As we talked she even told us about how she has had to forgive certain people in her life and the way she talked sounded like the way that Christian's talk. She is so close to the truth and it's really sad that we have to leave next week, because there is much more we could have said. We are going to invite her over for dinner next week before we leave and I would ask you to pray for her. I think God is working in her life and I pray that she will soon come to know Jesus."

It would be a year before we met each other face to face again. In between we emailed, we phoned and we used the ever-popular MSN to keep involved in each other's lives.

12 months later I went back to spend a week with her and to see the sights. Since then she had become a Christian, moved to another city and I had just finished my final med school exams.
We had some in depth discussions about love, life and God and parted sadly with a deeper friendship.

In the past 6 months since then, S and I have been regularly emailing each other about all matters pertaining to life. It so happened that her holidays fell at exactly the same time as mine and so with a bit of planning she arrived at Sydney International Airport last week with a beaming smile on her face and so begins this story.

When I first met S 18 months ago, her first words to me were:

"I hate doctors!"

And thus began a truly unique friendship.

You see, very rarely do a find someone who is willing to be 100% open and honest with me... we all like to hide behind our defence mechanisms and not allow the 'other' person into our lives. It's the way we learn to protect our fragile self-esteem from being trampled upon by the ruthless world.

But not S. She openly shared her life with me and told me what she thought on all sorts of topics. And I soon warmed to her and told her about my life and hopes and dreams. And so this week we finally sat down at my favourite bubble tea dining spot to talk about 'us'.

When I first met her, she wasn't a Christian and so not on my list of potential girls to consider asking out. However God works in mysterious ways and soon my only objection to this girl disappeared. It seemed to easy.

We talked about my plans/goals for the future and what hers were. We talked about our feelings for each other. We talked about the possiblities. We both said we would think about it.

So over the last few days I have been sleeping less and worrying/stressing/praying/ranting more than usual.

On the one hand I have this gorgeous girl who I like (and who likes me back!!). She's funny, honest, has similar goals in life and I think is quite attractive.

On the other hand, she lives in another country (although one I have been considering as a potential place to live in future years), speaks a different language and is 5 years older than me.

One part of me says "J, go for it! She'd be great for you and any differences can be worked through" whilst another part of me says "J what are you doing? Even if she does like you and vice versa, she speaks a different language. No matter how much you try, you'll never be able to communicate with her the way you want to."

What to do? What to do?

Well last night I told S that although I'm crazy about her and care very deeply for her (research girl and pharm chick are but trivial jokes at work to keep me from going insane), we cannot be together.

Today's society would tell you that if you're 'in love' then you should stuff the realities of life and make it work. But sometimes love just aint enough.

Sometimes despite the best of intentions, life's obstacles are too insurmountable. Just because I can, doesn't mean I should.

To be honest I feel so awful inside right now. I've deeply hurt a girl whose only crime was to actually care about me. I've thrown away a chance at getting to know a potentially amazing girlfriend.

Growing up I would despise men who did things like this to girls. I alwasy promised myself I'd try my hardest to not hurt a girl. And until now I've been content to cop my share of the pain and tried not to deal out any myself. But today I've failed my own standards.

Relationships in this world are frustrated and frustrating. We hurt people and get hurt in the process.

I need a 'physician' for this 'sickness'...

* Yes this is Dr J of KEC fame.
** Research girl alas is not Asian in extraction and therefore didn't really stand a chance because I have what my friends would like to call Yellow Fever or AF (Asian fetish) because I am an Egg (white on outside yellow on inside) and find oriental girls far more likeable than their caucasian counterparts.

9 Comments:

At 12:02 AM, Blogger Katie said...

I believe Justin Yoon called me an egg once as well, but for different reasons. :)

J, sounds like it was a really tough decision for you to make. Even though you think you are hurting her now, maybe it's to prevent hurting her even more in the long run. Who really knows what might happen? Maybe you will one day be in a position where it seems to make more sense to be with her... or maybe you'll decide that us caucasians aren't so bad after all. :)

Keep praying, keep thinking, keep reading God's word, then pray some more.

 
At 12:28 AM, Blogger alwinc said...

Oh J, I'm sad for you bro... while at the same time hopeful.

Thanks for sharing that so openly with us.

** Research girl alas is not Asian in extraction and therefore didn't really stand a chance because I have what my friends would like to call Yellow Fever or AF (Asian fetish) because I am an Egg (white on outside yellow on inside) and find oriental girls far more likeable than their caucasian counterparts.

If only I hear that from caucasian girls every now and then... hahaha

 
At 10:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so that's why you've been so silent on your blog/msn lately.

thanks for sharing. it was a very tough decision that you made. i really feel for you. your decision was probably rational and Godly. on the other hand, if it's within God's plan for you 2 to be together, then the opportunity will represent itself. i think.

zinger

 
At 4:39 PM, Blogger Gin Oak said...

Thanks for your honesty. I'll be praying for you. If you want an insight into the trials of cross cultural marriage check out The White Masai (but be prepared for a fair bit of immorality).
God bless,
Gin.

 
At 12:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sad huh? that we live in a fallen world where hurting and being hurt is a part of every day life.

but i guess thats why we must remind ourselves of the new heaven and new earth where we will be in perfect relationship with God, all made possible because Jesus died for us. (Rev 21)

Romans 8:18ff... not out of context i hope but perhaps will give you hope.

praying for you!
sorry for quoting all these Bible verses, usually don't remember any but i fear i feel your pain and there is not much i know to say...
anyways thanks for continuing to share your life stories so eloquently despite the pain.

g'nite

ps white masai... yeah.. much immorality... much human-ness...

 
At 1:30 PM, Blogger Jess Joseph said...

Hey J,

I'm so sorry to hear about what happened. Thanks so much for your honesty.

I know exactly what you mean & I'm so encouraged by the wisdom that God has given you. Sometimes it is so easy to want to follow what our heart tells us is right.

As a female, I have on several occasions harboured a liking for a particular guy, & yet wisdom tells me to be patient & wait. Yes, it can be really heart-wrenching at the time, but I'm sure it pleases our Father in heaven that we want to do what pleases Him.

You'll never know. Keep in touch with her & keep seeking God's wisdom.

I'll be praying for you.

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger dave said...

J,

I'm sorry to hear things turned out this way J. You had to make a tough call, and it sounds like this girl is intelligent and understands you, and with time she'll understand why it had to be this way right now.

>>Growing up I would despise men who did things like this to girls. I alwasy promised myself I'd try my hardest to not hurt a girl....But today I've failed my own standards.

I hope you don't beat yourself up too much. You're not some philandering alpha-male with his head up his ass. You didn't break a promise, you didn't cheat on her, you didn't make out with her best friend or set her house on fire... ;)

It takes a big man to walk away from an opportunity like that. And, at the very least, she knows that you care. It's magic when you find someone that you connect to like this, and time will see things get back to the way they were soon.

Keep on keeping on bro.

!d~

 
At 4:03 PM, Blogger Katie said...

Hey J,

I was just wondering if I could put a link to your blog on mine... would that be ok?

Kt

 
At 4:53 PM, Blogger misthe said...

hiya dr. j,

love can be a pretty difficult emotion to handle huh? it can make you feel immensely fuzzy and warm, and give you the strength to not care and just act crazily, but at the same time it can really bring your spirits down. despite the outcome, it's really great that you talked openly with her about how you feel about it all, and allowed her the chance to tell you her views about it too...it takes guts!

relax and refresh yourself the rest of this week before heading back to the craziness of work and other Sydney things.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home