The Intern Experiment Ninja!

The life of a first year doctor... it's ups and downs and anything else random that happens.

Monday, April 10, 2006

A New Slave

Today I finally received my very own med student!

She's a 6.02 model (6th year term 2) and seems to be a quality Asian version, not one of those cheap European brands.

She paged me around midday asking if she could come and help. I told her to join me in preadmissions and next minute there was a knock on the door.

And in walked my friend F!

Of all the med student to gain I got one I already knew quite well. So instead of all the trivial niceties, she was more than happy for me to shove her in another office and get her to do another preadmission for me!

I managed to con her into taking the blood... examining the patients and I just signed off at the end. How great is that?

Afterwards I took her to theatre to meet the reg and consultant and my reg was so nice to me cos he said "Well F, you're a 6th year and should be starting to act like an intern so on the wards you shoudl be helping Dr J with his work so you can get preparred for next year"

Yeah baby!

So now I have a personal slave! Someone to help me whe it's busy and do some crappy jobs for me when I don't want to do them.

With her assitance I did my preadmissions a lot faster and so I made it into the operating theatres today wearing scrubs for the first time this year.

Whenever I don the magic scrubs I feel like I'm someone special. It's like my Superman cape that gives me magic powers (even thoguh they are just shabby pyjama pants - but then again Superman wears his undies on the outside so that's quite the norm for superpowers).

Dressed to impress I stride around the wards like I'm some kinda hot shot surgeon. I even extend my neck and pull my shoulders back so I look the part. When I'm in those sexy blue scrubs I AM a surgical intern. I am one of the elite.. like the comedians on Scrubs or the love-lorn Meredith on Grey's.... I am part of their inner circle... I am one of the interns who the rest of the world wanna know about (evidenced by the numerous TV shows about us... but not garbage collectors)

I bumped into another med student I knew today when I was conducting my aforementioned fashion show and the level of respect I got was superb... I felt like I could hear the theme music of ER playing in the background.

Anyways, today was a lot better than last week. I felt more under control and knew the sytem a lot better. We're even discharging the few remaining patients we have left so tomorrow I should be able to spend a long time in theatre.

Ths is the life!

1 Comments:

At 3:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, i know what you mean about being in scrubs!! on the wards, i love beinging in scrubs or seeing anyone in scrubs!

zhinger

 

Post a Comment

<< Home