The Intern Experiment Ninja!

The life of a first year doctor... it's ups and downs and anything else random that happens.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Men are from Saturn, Women are from Liverpool

Relationships.

They are so confusing in all their forms and yet they are fundamental for human existence.

We inflict so much pain through them, and yet become profoundly depressed in their absence.

Friday night I spent enjoying the relationships with friends from church at our annual ball. The theme was "Cluedo" and so guys and gals donned various coloured clothing and solved a murder mystery of epic proportions. However when the DJ's music remained techno for too long my mate and I rushed down to my car, pulled out a dusty CD from my glovebox and got him to crank on "Backstreet's Back". Worked a charm until my mates decided I should dance and I decided I shouldn't* What ensued next was a tangling of limbs and bar stools and helium ballons being sucked as I was dragged laughing non-stop onto the middle fo the floor and dropped.
It was great to just have some fun and muck around with my brothers and sisters without worrying about life.

Ended up staying out way too late but seeing as I had the 'easy' Saturday shift at work I figured I could always sleep a bit during my shift the next day. How wrong I was...
Rocked up to work bleary eyed only to find that one of the residents was sick and seeing as I had the cruisy shift I was dobbed in to do his job as well until they found someone else. So I ended up being overworked, running between theatre (open appendix and a trachie) the intern wards and the resident wards. By the end of the shift I felt so exhausted, both emotionally and physically. And all I wanted to do was come home to someone. To have someone in my life who would be there for me and tell me it was ok and someone to look forward to seeing.

But to be honest I find myself frustrated with the whole boy-girl relationship thing. Girls whinge about guys not being 'chivalrous enough' (whoops I forgot to open the door! Sorry J!) and never asking them out whilst guys shake their fists and lament how girls are fickle and looking for Mr Darcy who doesnt exist.

I think I've been scarred from past expereinces which have all been less than ideal and made me bitter/pessimistic about the whole process for the future. And yet why do I keep finding myself seeing nice girls as 'potentials'? If I'm so fed up then why am I so hungry?

"No man should marry until he has studied anatomy and dissected at least one woman." - Balzac

I realise that relationships are so vital to life. We are placed in many relationships. As a son, as a doctor, as a friend, as a flatmate, as a leader, as a learner.

I feel that work makes me value relationships more. Somehow the business and exhaustion of work needs people outside of work to fulfill it. One day I hope that'll be with some amazing woman** but it must not be exclusively there. Fulfillment of relationship is found in love. And that is found in God. But in this fallen world we just keep stuffing it up. And so I long for that perfect relationship. One that casts out all fear.

* I hate dancing. Not other people dancing. How they choose to express themselves is their own business but I personally refuse to dance because I am crap at it. Not in a 'aww-isn't-it-nice-that-the-guy-can't-dance-and-is-lamely-trying' way, but in a "get-this-moron-off-the-dance-floor' way.
** Latest OoA is Pharm girl #2 the new pharmicist on our ward who is of Asian extraction, extremely nice and all the other guys think she's good looking too. Finding myself wanting to 'review a patients medications' so much more often now. Hehe. (Don't worry .. definitely out of my league and prob not Christian)

5 Comments:

At 12:33 AM, Blogger Jess Joseph said...

Hey J,

We were just mucking aroung about the whole chilvary thing. Giys from church are usually really nice about it. And it's more than just opening doors. :)

And by the way, not all girls like a Mr Darcy. He's too obnoxious for my taste. :P

 
At 8:37 PM, Blogger Gin Oak said...

I don't know, there's just something about a Mr Darcy... a guy with faults who accepts Elizabeth with her faults...
but also a guy who is willing to distance himself from his peers just to follow his heart... what girl could pass that up?!?

 
At 8:05 AM, Blogger alwinc said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8:07 AM, Blogger alwinc said...

So dude,

How many women have you disected?

I might help you out on the next one...
I need to rack up that number before getting married

 
At 8:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, if she's not a Christian, that means SHE'S out of YOUR league.

[Why is it that relationship blogs always get the most comments???]

 

Post a Comment

<< Home