The Intern Experiment Ninja!

The life of a first year doctor... it's ups and downs and anything else random that happens.

Sunday, October 15, 2006

Editorial

Every once in a while it's good to have the opporutnity to respond to reader's comments and get some 'dialogue' happenin.

So after persuing through old posts indefinitely just wanna say the following:

# No I'm not chasing after girls of 'unequal' yoking. It was jus a comment that even if that person was, it prob wouldn't be a possibility anyway. However on that note, this week I had morning tea and lucnh with the pharm chick and another docotor and pharmacist. It's nice to have lunch with non-doctors once in a while. They're not as 'boring' as you might think! (haha - this is a joke, I don't want a tirade of "Stop being so up yourself Dr J" comments)

# Our callings in life are not static but dynamic. Just cos I have the ability to do something doesn not mean I should. I know this flies in the face of Western thinking which staets that if you have the ability, you should. But under that argument I should go and be a film director cos I'm ok at that too and enjoy that too and that helps people by conveying messages and helping them relax.
Please don't get me wrong. Medicine is a fantastic profession in what it achieves. It touches many lives and Jesus himself called himself the great Physician (I'd hate to see what his FRACP exam would look like). To want to alleviate suffering (either in palliation or cure) is a good and right thing, it shows that suffering in this world is not random meaningless chemical reaction, but a painful result of the curse we live under. However for me personally, I have decided that my time would be spent better elsewhere. I would encourage my fellow doctors to work hard in their jobs too and I will always hold a soft spot for med. But I have not made this decision lightly. It's taken me 6 years to decide and only after much talking with others.

# In terms of updates with my Dad, he's slowly pottering along. Part of his frontotemporal dementia is that he is disinhibited in his feelings and thoughts. And so where he once would keep his opinions on our lives to himself, he now becomes more open and tells us what's on his mind. And so it's become apparent over the last few motnhs that he is quite (well 'extremely' would be a better word) keen for me to get married. He keeps blatantly asking me EVERY phone call whether I've got a girlfirend and whether I'm talking to any nice girls (whereas he never used to ask) and telling me he's put away some money to help pay for my 'new family'. I feel kinda bad because this is what he really wants for me and yet it's kinda not something I can 'make' happen. My great grandfather died before my grandfather got married and my grandfather died before my father got married and it seems like now my father will die before I get married. I know it's not in my control, but if I 'could' give him his final wish... it'd mean so much to him. Sometimes this world sucks... big time!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home