The Intern Experiment Ninja!

The life of a first year doctor... it's ups and downs and anything else random that happens.

Sunday, October 22, 2006

Good Weekend

Work sucks right now so I wont dwell on it other than to say it's only 10 more working days till I leave Gastro and farewell my reg (who's renamed himself G-Astro Boy because a nurse commented on his gelled back Asian hair)

So on to more fun things. Like the weekend.

As I watch the medical students dissolving into frenzied sharks, I realise the beauty of working life. Time off.

Not to say that as medical students we didn't have time off. But there was always that lingering prospect of impending exams that necessitated study. Although we wasted many hours, they always fell under the shadow of those final exams.

But now how things have changed! The shackles of assessment have been loosened and although we are not as free with our time, it is time free of anything else. And so the weekend takes on a new meaning. It gives refreshment and an awful lot of enjoyment.

So this weekend began after a late afternoon ward round with the Professor which then evolved into a trip across the road to the local publican's house for refreshments with workmates (and even an invite to some random perosn's farewell party). It was good to just chill with the other doctors (all of whom had similarly awful weeks) and just relax.

Then it was off ot the city to join my mate A* for dinner with him and some of his Asian posse. I was ordered a whopping huge plate of ribs cooked to perfection and got to meet some really cool new people (I know some of you read this - haha) The it was off to score another 'sugarhit' at the Swissotel overlooking the streets from on high. It was sheer exhaustion that prevented us from kicking on to karaoke (probably to the benefit of those who DID go).

Saturday kicked off way too early with an early morning church breakfast of pancakes and prayer. I struggled home afterwards to rest for a short time before heading off to meet my sister for a late lunch and shopping trip. I had rashyl promised to buy her a birthday present for her 21st and so I was finally being held accountable to my promise and made to endure some 'quality' time with my sister as she talked and walked her way through 4 levels of shops to find what she wanted. Was good to hang out though and just spend time together amidst the busy-ness of life. Seems like only yesterday we were making cubby houses in our lounge room and fighting over the trampoline. Now we go on dinner dates and fight over who should pay. How I long for those old times when life was simpler.

Then it was off to eat some quality Japanese and catch up with some friends. The food was excellent as always and the conversation was so encouraging. Got back too late though after watching DVDs but this afforded me the oppurtunity to catch up with friends in Singapore and Taiwan who were still up (due to the 3 hour time lag).

Sunday was another early start due to a combined church service with our Asian sister congregation. But what really topped it was the Yum Cha with old college buds who turned Asian eating into a comedy routine**

It wasn't one thing that necessarily defined the weekend. But a whole lot of little enjoyable things that make you realise that life isn't that bad. That you will be able to keep persevering through the rubbish of your job in order to see the next weekend.

*of Jolin Tsai concert fame - I've been humming those diva's tunes all week.
** "English is the best language ever ... in Asia the word for pork is ju-ro but in English the word for pork is pork! How great is that!"

3 Comments:

At 9:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i thought you were learning mando, not canto. Ju-ro is canto. in mando, it's zhu-ro

zinger

 
At 6:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Ju-ro ain't Canto! Ro is "yook" in Canto!

Can't believe you called Jolin a diva...(I haven't heard her stuff so I guess I can't really judge...)

 
At 10:33 PM, Blogger S h e e p F o b said...

hehehe you crack me up!!! and go listen to some quality music...i recommend lee hom over anyone else anyday

 

Post a Comment

<< Home